A while back a friend of mine called me with some exciting news - she had just saved a baby possum and was going to move to Africa to look after baby wild animals because it was obviously her forte.* Apparently it was found playing dead in the courtyard which is their forte. She sent me multiple videos depicting their short life together:
- The caring and nurturing she was providing - a warm comfortable 1000 thread count towel, a sushi water dish and organic arugula to snack on. Because everyone knows that possums like arugula but only if it's organic. Pesticides are a concern to them. If you listen closely you can hear her tell him that everything will be ok. He seemed much comforted by that.
- She was a little concerned about some of his symptoms which is why you should always go straight to WebMD. Note: there is no WebMD for possums but strongly feel that they are much the same as people. After careful diagnosis, she determined that the shaking was caused by Parkinsons although later revised to shock and after an evaluation, she found that he was autistic.
- She provided a social environment and chance to meet new friends when she took him on an outing to the nextdoor neighbors doggie birthday party. In a shoebox.
- She almost talked him off the ledge. Although I don't really condone the tone of voice she used and her method was somewhat unorthodox. She should have told him what he had to live for.
- The daring escape by the possum off her two story balcony captured shakily on camera as she followed its progress to almost certain death. But without actually jumping off to save it. What was not included was the relaxing glass of wine to settle her nerves - it's possible the possum had a sip or two for liquid courage before making a break for it...if you listen closely, you can hear her expression of concern.
- The scuttling around in the bushes as it tried to walk off what was likely two broken legs**
|If you look closely, you can see him smiling his thanks for the arugula and a promise to back and visit in the Winter.|
The whole debacle was worthy of a Humanitarian Award for Sort-of Life-Saving Efforts of a Possum. Which comes with a shiny medal and a bottle of wine. Probably need the medal back*** but keep the wine.
For those wondering where the possum is now, he was last seen by her neighbor, legging it down the street. No joke, this neighbor has close ties to both a possum rescue group and a possum taxidermist. As of today's date, it's uncertain who got there first...
Video/Photo Credit goes to Schmelissa Schmeale****
*Most of that was a lie. Except for the baby possum part but it didn't sound as interesting without Africa...
**Possibly four but am not familiar with American possums and how they land when trying to commit suicide off a balcony. Also are the front two leg things, arms? Or are they all legs? Going to stick with legs since have seen very few possums walking upright.
***It's my half-marathon one but doubles for a lot of other things. Is also a good way for me to get in the fact that I did a half marathon...
****Not her real name. If you would like to hire her as videographer please contact me.