Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Doing A Deal Using My Harvard Negotiation Experience

Now that I have all this Harvard knowledge, I'm putting it to good use at work. For instance, just the other day, one of my business partners contacted me and said he had a software renewal that he needed done.

Me: So are any terms changing (brilliant opener - totally channeling Harvard)
Business Partner: Yes, I want to pay a lot less money and I want to be able to get out of the contract just because I feel like it.
Me: Got it - let me reach out to the Vendor and I'll get back to you (excellent empathy and showing good understanding of the deal terms)

Me: Hi - we want to renew this deal but we want it for less money and we want the ability to cancel for no reason whatsoever at any time e.g. It's Thursday (clear outline of the terms and a firm tone of voice to show that we will not budge)
Vendor: No.

So, that went well.

No comments:

Post a Comment