Monday, November 24, 2014

What Did You Do Last Saturday?

I had a bottle of wine, some bread and cheese on my rooftop with the homeless guy that lives on my street. Technically he's not homeless since he lives in his van on the street. He's quite an institution in the neighborhood, walks a lot of people's dogs, moves their cars to avoid street cleaner fines and can more or less do most handyman jobs.  Put great big hole in my last place when hanging a mirror but took full responsibility with the landlady when I moved out. He's been extremely helpful to me, even feeding Albert when I'm on vacation and won't take a penny for it.

Facts:
  1. His only request was to share some wine and have some good company. I managed the wine.
  2. His name is Wolfgang. Wolfie to the ladies. I stick with Wolfgang.Also, I am not a lady.
  3. He is from Frankfurt, Germany, close to 70 and apparently invented a similar version to the Microsoft suite of products but didn't manage to get them out on the market before Bill Gates. It's possible that the slight language barrier means I got that story wrong or it's possible he was taking some liberties. I told him it was a damn shame. He agreed.
  4. He used to be very wealthy with a house in the Hollywood Hills. Then he got married. And now he has fallen on hard times. Marriage will do that to you.
  5. He has all kinds of deals going with people in the neighborhood to help him live a comfortable life despite his circumstances - his van is always parked outside the same place where he pays $25 a month to one of the tenants for the use of his internet and cable. How else do you watch TV in your van? $5 a week goes towards the guy that cleans the bathrooms in the nearby park so that he can be first in and have a clean bathroom to use.
  6. He's extremely well presented and buys socks in bulk so he can have a new pair at any time.
  7. He has a crush on his acupuncturist. Yes, you read that right. My local homeless friend has an acupuncturist. Only in Hollywood.
  8. He also has a pretty sweet cell phone and according to him, an excellent plan. Just because you're homeless doesn't mean you can't stay in touch.
  9. For someone in circumstances that would be catastrophic to me, he is certainly making the best of his situation and taking care of himself without relying on handouts. When I tried to hand him some money, he took it only on the condition that we use it for brunch some time.I love brunch.
  10. He likes red wine. Who doesn't? 
  11. Albert tolerates him.  In fact he traitorously sat on his lap and flipped me the middle claw.  Sort of.
We all need a Wolfgang in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment