Friday, August 1, 2014

National "Something" Days

Every week I feel like I hear about it being National (Blank) Day for some random thing and it generally only catches my attention when it's about food. I'm a little behind the 8 ball on this one but Wednesday was National Cheesecake Day. Which I'm all in favor of but have to wonder, why do we need this to be celebrated? Generally special days are created for us to remember and celebrate loved ones, difficult events, groups of people etc. I want to know who has been mistreating cheesecake so that we have to dedicate a day to it so it feels better?

Yesterday was National Mutt Day where we celebrate all those dogs that don't come with pedigree papers and are the result of different breeds having a good time. Pretty easy to celebrate this occasion, dogs are very easy to please.

There's a bunch of others that seem somewhat ridiculous but maybe I'm being too harsh and everyone/thing needs to be celebrated once a year.

  1. Compliment your Mirror Day - July 3rd. Basically look at yourself and say something nice. 
  2. Cow Appreciation Day - July 15th. Am I supposed to appreciate dairy products or give a cow a hug?
  3. Today is National Raspberry Cream Pie Day - I guess this pie felt it wasn't getting as much attention as Apple and Pecan so it gave itself a whole day...
  4. International Forgiveness Day - 1st Sunday in August. No.
  5. Emma M Nutt Day - September 1st. Emma was the first woman telephone operator. I'll give her a call and say thanks...
  6. Virus Appreciation Day - October 3rd. Is there anyone that is currently appreciating any virus that they have? Does anyone want to say a special thank you to their herpe?
  7. Stay At Home Because You Are Well Day - November 30th. I think we can all get on board with this one.
  8. Put On Your Own Shoes Day - December 6th. Umm. Should I be given an award for doing this every day anyway? If you over the age of 5 and physically able, you should be putting your own shoes on. Who are these people that command others to do it for them or presumably go without if no one is around?
  9. Take It In The Ear Day - December 8th. There will be some of you who thought this meant get an earful from someone and put up with it and then there will be me who thought it meant something else...
And in case you thought I was making these up...
On second thoughts, not sure she'll be able to take my call...
She would take a selfie if she had a cell phone but I think she's probably before even Emma's time.
Me too...
Me too...

Not sure how this is associated with Virus Day unless those two men have terrible viruses and the other fellow thinks it's hilarious.  I hope they give him their virus.
Here's one I missed.  Next year I'm going to stay up late and watch people run around sneaking zucchini onto their neighbors porches.  I think this is a job for beer and binoculars.

I still have selections from the other months of the year but will save those for later since I am still waiting for my own special days:
  1. Donate to Kirsten Day
  2. National Pirate Cat Day
  3. No More Salad Day

No comments:

Post a Comment