Monday, February 16, 2015

President's Day

Technically I shouldn't be posting anything because I have the day off but since I'm down to three days a week, I'm feeling some Catholic guilt. Which is interesting since I'm not Catholic.

It's actually very generous of me since I don't get another day off until May 25th, Memorial Day. Please 'like" my act of generosity by donating to my blog.  Honestly, I haven't been able to buy a single pair of shoes with what I've made so far.

President's Day was originally meant to commemorate George Washington's birthday - despite never actually being on his birthday which I'm pretty sure is where the whole origin of "Birthday Month" started*. If I was a past or present President, I'd be pissed at being left out although I think nowadays, it's been opened up to include everyone.  I bet Lincoln is feeling a bit like an afterthought**.   


So I did some research because this blog is not just full of mindless twaddle, it's real journalism.  With a little bit of twaddle.  What the hell is twaddle anyway?  I should look that up.
noun
noun: twaddle
  1. 1.
    trivial or foolish speech or writing; nonsense.
    "he dismissed the novel as self-indulgent twaddle"
verb
archaic
verb: twaddle; 3rd person present: twaddles; past tense: twaddled; past participle: twaddled; gerund or present participle: twaddling
  1. 1.
    talk or write in a trivial or foolish way.
    "what is that old fellow twaddling about?"
Oh.  No, definitely not this blog.  Nothing self-indulgent about it.

Back to the research.  I wanted to find out about the typical traditions for President's Day.  There appears to be nothing.  So basically all the after thought presidents get a day in their honor where no one does anything to commemorate them and no one thinks about them at all.  They probably feel about as special as all those on my group Valentine's Day text.

FYI - If you really want to honor Washington, apparently some of his favorite foods were fish and pie. Maybe you could eat some.  If you're short on time consider combining the two...

How about we come up with a President's Day tradition?  I'm thinking something along the lines of an egg hunt followed by a turkey dinner, eaten around a decorated tree with gifts of heart-shaped boxes of chocolates and roses, all whilst wearing a scary*** costume.  Any takers?

Just an FYI, when I am President, every day will be a holiday, only mean people will have to work and there will be cake for breakfast.

*I think I just solved for x.  Or y.
**I mean Zombie Lincoln because obviously he is dead.  Read up on your history, people, only the facts here on this blog. 
***Or slutty.  I know how some of you are - you love nothing more than to dress up like a slutty squirrel.

No comments:

Post a Comment