Monday, February 2, 2015

Getting Your Car Fixed

Well, it's time. The check engine light has been on for two months so it's pretty clear there's a problem and it wasn't just teasing me. So, I did the responsible adult thing - yes, I'm well aware it's been two months. Maybe I'm a different kind of responsible adult - and took it into Pep Boys because it's on the way to work. After I waited for two hours, they had a ten minute look and diagnosed two things that didn't sound like car parts, more than medical supplies. They also diagnosed it as being $772. Which was $700 more than I had diagnosed it. Which I guess might have been a little off since I've already admitted that car diagnostics are not one of my strengths.

Pretty sure it's not one of theirs either since they completely ignored the fact that I have a crack in my exhaust manifold and my car sounds like a lawn mower. I was fully prepared to talk my way out of the necessity of needing that fixed - after all, it's been 6 years and what's a little carbon monoxide poisoning anyway - but they didn't even notice it. That was my first sign that they were not real mechanics. Plus they weren't wearing a shirt with their name embroidered on it. Every quality mechanic has one of those. And their names are always Willy, Chuck, Bud or Neville. Maybe not Neville*.


Anyway, they told me to call them on Monday so they could order the parts and figure out when I could bring my car in.  I guess they thought I was stupid.  In their defense, I did look a bit stupid that day.  I decided to go to AutoZone and have them look up the price of the parts.  $242 is a lot more than $158 for one part.  Now if I've done my calculations correctly, we're looking at a 432% mark-up.  Give or take.  Again, do they think I'm stupid??**

So, I'm getting a second opinion.  And a third if I have to.  I just need the check engine light to go off and I need it to cost $30.  Anyone?

*I was going to insert one of those Name Generator's here - you know when you need to know your stripper name and it asks you for your initials or your street name. Sadly no one has come up with a Mechanic's Name Generator. So, there's a money making idea for someone. You're welcome. 

**Math is very difficult, it can make anyone look stupid

No comments:

Post a Comment