Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Jobs I Have Had - Last One

Promise.  Mostly because I am not intending on having any more jobs because of winning the lottery.  Soon.

Desktop publishing - when I lived in London I had one of the greatest jobs ever.  Except for the time when I had no job which was a great job but it meant a lot of just rice and nothing else.  No job is only good when it comes with a lot of money.  

Basically I got to go to work from midnight to 6am, sit with a bunch of Kiwis and Aussies, shoot the shit and play around on PowerPoint creating presentations all night long.  PowerPoint is my favorite - if I had to vote on Word, Excel or PowerPoint* I would pick PowerPoint every time.  Excel can suck it.  Stupid formulas and calculations and pivot tables that no one really knows what they mean. Probably.

Every night I would be picked up from my house and driven to work out at Canary Wharf in a fancy car.  I preferred Jags, but a Bentley now and again is nice. We all hated it when we got the stretch limo - in my neighborhood, it looked very out of place and I think my neighbors all thought I was a hooker.  Which if it had paid as well as DTP and there was less smacking around of faces, skanky heels and dresses requiring a corset, I might very well have considered**.  At the end of the shift, you had to take the tube home - think it was so we didn't get too uppity...

Sometimes there was leftover food in the conference rooms from earlier.  How's that for job perks - free food and a fancy car ride.  Sounds like kindergarten!

Probably a good opportunity to showcase my Desktop Publishing Skills.  I don't know if you can tell but this is actually three separate pictures and I've seamlessly superimposed a limo pic with me in the back into a London setting. I am available for hire.

Then I moved to Australia and shit got responsible.  My advice, stay irresponsible for as long as you can, it's a slippery slope once you start out being all reliable and stuff.  I ended up at a Telco as a Project Manager.  I managed the shit out of their projects.  And all without knowing what I was doing.  I mean I can use a phone but that's about it...

Clearly that didn't work out so I quit, worked for a month on the JPMorgan Trading floor but it was very loud and angry and there were no donuts so I made my to 'Merica.  Land of opportunity.


Land of opportunity wouldn't even give me a waitressing job despite years of experience.  I guess they put down and pick up plates differently in this country.  Probably something to do with the equator and time zones...
 

Eventually a consulting company took a chance on me and stuck me in as a Sourcing Manager at Freightliner.  At the time, I wondered what a Sourcing Manager did***.  Freightliner is owned by Daimler and you do not get a free truck when you join which is a bit mingy and I feel I was mis-informed.  If you're wondering how exciting it was to work for a truck company, I can tell you.  Not very.
Another example of my skillset although as I mentioned, no free trucks so this is also an example of my imagination at work...

*Although why that would ever come up, I have no idea...
**Creative license, Mum, creative license.  No need for concern 
***Am getting very close to nailing this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment