Tuesday, October 14, 2014

I Am An Owl

Clearly.
Which is interesting since I thought I was RED and an INFJ. I did not see the Owl coming. Last week I participated in Management Training at my Company - the food was excellent. In a lot of management training, they want you to understand your personality or behavioral type as it relates back to how you communicate with people and how you like to be communicated with. Having undergone a number of these, I don't put a lot of weight in it but it can be interesting. Especially when you thought you were a human but turns out you are actually an owl.

To get to that revelation, we were shown four pictures of birds (my vote would have been for cats or dogs but (a) I was not asked and (b) at least we didn't get fish): Eagle, Owl, Dove and Parrot. We were asked to pick the bird that we most closely identified with - so while I heard the instructions, I'm a visual person and I picked the bird that I liked the look of best. On that particular day. The Owl had deep thoughtful eyes*, beautiful markings**, a serenity (that I wish I had) and a nice leafy background. He looked comfortable and the picture appealed to me. We were then separated to four corners of the room to meet our fellow bird types. All of us owls had to come up with why we identified with the Owl. I'll be honest, the only one that was thinking "Harry Potter" was me and after hearing some of the others - quietly vicious, solitary, wise - I decide to keep that thought to myself. But that's mostly why I picked it - I'm a Hedwig fan and I fear I may have skewed the results. Safe to say that I may have already failed management training 101...

When I was defined as RED (or in bird terms - an Eagle), the tagline for someone with that type of personality was "Be Bright, Be Brief, Be Gone". Which makes a lot of sense as long as "bright" doesn't mean perky. In which case just Be Gone altogether. Being brief makes a lot of sense - give me the info and get out. I also had a fair amount of Blue which as far as I can tell is the same as an Owl. Analytical*** and observant (that's because I'm an owl and can swivel my head 180 degrees). Reading between the lines of the report, I have discovered yet again that I am intolerant of idiots, my aloofness is actually shyness (idiots), being blunt is a Kiwi trait, my ideal working environment is at home in bed and "Others often misunderstand her great ability as a creative thinker". Hard to read between the lines on that last one so I just quoted it so you won't make that mistake again.

Anyway, I have just redefined myself with a new personality/behavioral type test that I developed. It only has two results: Awesome and Not Very Awesome. Based on the test I took, which was self-evaluation and involved zero questions, it turns out I am "Awesome". Take the test in your own time.


*Suspect he was thinking about what next to kill and eat but it looked more like a plan for World peace.
**I'm a sucker for a good looking bird
***Can you be analytical without Math being involved? If not then this test is way off base.

No comments:

Post a Comment