Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Shopping With Kids

Have you ever done it? And I don't mean grocery shopping, I mean like clothes and shoes. Because I have the two most tolerant niece kids in the world. On our vacation to Hawaii, they trailed around behind us, going from shop to shop while their parents experienced the delights of American shopping and all those stores we don't have in New Zealand. Here's what I learned:

  1. When you are bored of shopping because the stores are all the same as in Los Angeles but you need to pass the time by trying on a few things, enlist the help of your six year old niece as a personal shopper to pick some items out. She will be ecstatic and complimentary and agreeable on everything - grown-ups need to take note. 
  2. When you get into the changing room, she will ask what all the hooks on the wall are for and be delighted that she now has a place to hang her Hello Kitty* handbag and will get comfortable on the stool, preparing to provide feedback. 
  3. Now, since I don't have kids**, I wasn't sure what her reaction would be to me getting undressed and I was prepared for comments. But, you know the nice thing about kids? They don't care what you look like, they don't know what is considered beautiful or why you're even worried about it. They just want to discuss candy and the like. 
  4. After trying each item on, you will be asked to turn around and careful consideration will be given to the outfit.  Most everything you put on will be "a good color for you" which you will realize is what she just overheard a saleswoman saying.
  5. It will soon become apparent that she has some Amish modesty tendencies because comments will be restricted to "a little short, don't you think" and "I can see the tops of your boobies". Now to be far, the last comment was valid but when everything is hitting at the knee or below, I have to wonder what would be acceptable.  Suspect an up to the neck and down to the floor dress would be most appropriate.
  6. That this is was much fun for me (without even buying anything) as it was for her.  As she flung a recent purchase of her own (a Spring, floral scarf) around her neck and head, A la Grace Kelly convertible-car-riding style and sauntered out of H&M, I was advised that she would be happy to help again if I ever needed it.
*I was informed that she feels it's a bit young for her and she's on the look-out for something a little more grown-up.  With sequins.
**Albert just turns a blind eye. Like literally...

No comments:

Post a Comment