Friday, February 28, 2014

Bartending...

There are some days when I wake up and I just want to go and be a bartender for a while. Which means I can go back to sleep because my shift is not going to start until at least 5pm. I wouldn't have to think about all my Sourcing and Digital responsibilities, I could just leave at the end of my shift and make a mental note to order more olives the next day.

But I would Source the crap out of those olives. Probably just run a quick RFP, bring them all in for olive demos*, run a reverse auction, beat them down on price and negotiate a contract. Or just go to Ralph's and buy a jar....

I have been a bartender in a prior life and for where I was at that time, I loved it. Work until the wee hours of the morning, staffies** every night, sleep late and repeat. At the high point of my bar career, I could pour one liter jugs of beer from the taps, maintain witty banter and never spill a drop. At the low point, I would spill every drop and at the lowest point, I would have a full bottle of Navy Rum pour out on my head after not screwing the nip pourer in tight enough. 

These are fancy, more secure ones but was a very easy accident to happen and I'm going to say it happened more than once but always with different types of alcohol.  I don't play favorites.
The Prospect of Howick - my first bar job
*If you're wondering what this entails...me too. I would imagine the olive vendors would show correct olive and drink pairings, extol the benefits of pitted versus non-pitted, do some taste tests - which would be useless for me as I would need them to bring some pizza to put under the olives and then I would pick them all off.
**Free drinks with all the staff at the end of the night - we all had Smurf names and failure to use the correct Smurf name would result in having to take a shot.  Messy.  For the record, I was Smurfette.  Yes, I know.  Big surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment