Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Language...and Texting

I was having a conversation with a friend last week who was passionately trying to explain her approach to managing expectations of certain people and at the end she pointed out that "it's not brain science!" "Damn right", I replied. "I totally agree. And what is Brain Science*?" Turns out it's a combination of "Rocket Science" and "Brain Surgery"** and an on the spot unintentional invention that might have just proven that language and saying the right thing is actually "Rocket Brain Surgery Science."

I've decided that I love Brain Science and I am now working it into every sentence I can. You should too.  Let's start something new. 

Examples:

  • Hey Special K, how's your day going? Pretty good, just over here doing some brain science.
  • Hi Special K, I'd like to go over your 2014 performance goals. Sure. 1. Do more brain science.
  • You have a dentist appointment at 3pm. Well, I sure would like to make that but I have a clash with an appointment to get more brain science.
  • What do you prefer - brain science or cake? Brain science says cake***.
  • What are you doing? You wouldn't understand, it's brain science.
On a side note, I really wanted to write a post about the way auto-correct screws up what are trying to say in text messages. Except that this never happens to me. So I would be making stuff up and this blog is built on the truth and very little embellishment****. Auto-correct mix-ups are very popular with lots of websites out there and if I wasn't so lazy, I would look them up and list them for you.

And then just when I was thinking this never happened to me, it happened to me. I'm going to tell you right now, it's not even mildy amusing so don't get your hopes up for a hilarious time that will make your day. In fact, just skip right over.

I was texting with my trainer and we were talking about this very blog and I mentioned that I wrote it for me right now, which is good because I'm certainly not writing it for all the money that I'm getting. I explained that it was a comfort to me, which came out as "conifer". Which is clearly not comforting. It's a prickly fir tree. Nothing comforting about that. Mildly ironic and vaguely uninteresting. I'll let you know if I have any more.

*Looked it up on Wikipedia and there were variations but nothing specifically called Brain Science so it clearly is not a thing. Because Wikipedia is like the law.
**The usual go to's for comparing something that's not hard to something that is. In case you are stupid and didn't know this.
***This is the only instance in which you should not mix brain science with something,. It might talk you out of eating cake. And that would be a mistake.
****Very very not true.

No comments:

Post a Comment