Thursday, May 8, 2014

Jobs I Have Had - Part 1

I've been working since I was a small child.  Sadly, I only started getting paid from about age 13 (first job below doesn't really count since I hardly call that getting paid) as we had to do a lot of things "for love". Like dishes, cleaning bedrooms, mowing lawns, clearing the table etc. You know, the usual kid* stuff. However, since I do feel I excelled at it, I should have been on salary. Must remember to bring that up next time I'm home and see if I can't get some kind of back-pay**...

Job 1: Delivering pamphlets*** - this was a complete scam.  It involved 100 pamphlets, a lot of hills and minimal salary (1c/pamphlet). Did not do the math first. Well, did do the math first but got a much larger number more along the lines of what a CEO would earn. Feel that position and salary were somewhat misrepresented.

Job 2: Babysitting - despite everyone's surprise, I did not lose a single kids' eye while under my care.  Pretty lucrative and you soon learn to say no to the ones that don't provide snacks and don't believe in children being in bed by 6pm.

Job 3: Cafe - this was a cafe by day and Italian restaurant by night.  I was a day worker.  What do I remember about this job? Going into work early in the dark, my foot falling in a hole and cutting my leg open, right on the shin.  Being super tough****, I worked through my shift before going to the doctor to have it sewn up. By that time, it was too late and he couldn't do anything about it.  I was left with a pretty meaty scar that ruined my modelling***** career.  Walking to work is hazardous.

Job 4: Library - probably one of my favorite jobs.  I was hired to shelve books after school for a couple of hours in the town library.  I mastered the art of shelving and reading at the same time.  Try it.  It's not for everyone.


But wait - there's more. Just not today.

*Rebuilding the family car engine, building a house, hosting a banquet, upgrading the computer's hard drive. Just kidding. There were no computers back then.
**Right. Have just checked with Mum and that's not going to be an option. Probably won't go home for a while, it didn't seem that well-received...
***Feel like I might have mentioned this before, however am too lazy to go back and check and am sure none of you thought it important enough to remember.  Would probably save some time if I did go back and copy paste. But then there's the lazy thing again. What to do, what to do??
****Take note, America. Kiwi's. Very tough. You only have to see our rugby player's complete lack of protective gear to know this.
*****Did not have a modelling career



No comments:

Post a Comment