Monday, November 18, 2013

College Basketball

This weekend I went with a friend to a college basketball game. It was my first time in Fullerton at Cal State University and the teams playing were the team in white and the other one. There's a lot going on so it's very easy to forget this detail. I think they had Burgundy and Gold on because I remember thinking I look better in those colors than white.

It's important to know a few things when you're watching. Make sure you're very clear on which team you should be cheering for as the supporters around you will not have their "Welcome to America, Kirsten" faces on if you get it wrong. Also, there is no alcohol at college games - this is a terrible idea and they would make a lot more money if there was a bar in the gym, next to the court. I was able to make quite a nice amount selling shots out of my flask. Rest assured, I checked everyone's ID first and if they seemed nice, could pronounce my name correctly and had the cash, they got the shot.*

We had an "in" with the coach so we sat in the seating for special people section. Along with everyone else. I really didn't know where to look - watch the game, watch the cheerleaders, watch the dance crew, sing along with the band (who did a nice Journey song), or read my kindle. At first I didn't understand why there were two groups of what I thought were cheerleaders until it was pointed out that one was a dance troupe. They sit at opposite ends of the court and occasionally during time-outs do a combined routine but I'm pretty sure that the rest of the time they plot evil revenge against each other. The cheerleaders have quite demure outfits from the waist up with sweater-like tops and a large "F" in the middle**, however from the waist down, they are merely wearing a small waistband as the skirt has fallen off. I was most fascinated with the way they did their hair - had a big bump at the back with a ribbon attached to it. I'm told that the bump is matted hair. So, that's nice. They had blue pom poms, smile a lot and the littlest one gets chucked around in the air.  "Flying" is apparently the correct technical term. They made eye contact with us so we felt obliged to clap and smile back every time they did a move in front of us. One time, I wanted to give the thumbs down because it was a bit shit.

The dancers do not have matted hair bumps because they need to fling their hair around. A lot. They also get to have three outfit changes and go from slutty to tracksuits to slutty again. No wonder the cheerleaders dislike them. They smile a lot too but did not make eye contact which leads me to think they are a fickle bunch. They do a lot of pirouettes when a goal*** is scored.  Cheerleaders do high kicks.  I am undecided as to which I prefer and would like to propose some sort of dive roll, high kick combination.

But back to the game, or more aptly, the water, towel and stool boys. I wondered if this was a prerequisite for getting on the team. Kind of like an internship where you progress up the ranks and eventually get to play. But no. This is as far as your dream will go. You get to fill up the water bottles and pass them out, give out towels, receive sweaty towels and when a time out is called, you must grab a number of small folding stools and run as fast as you can to the court, open them up for the players to sit on before the 30 second timeout is over and done with. Several times I observed a complete breakdown and stool chaos ensued. There was one helper that really should look at a different field***.

The team mascot for the Titans is an elephant. Ten points for anyone who knows why. I thought I'd come up with it as no one there knew the answer but after Googling it, I find I'm completely wrong. Although my theory is better. And they should go with that.

Net result - we won. See how I have now become "we" at this school I did not attend or have any ties to. I like to be on the winning side. Also the coach looked a lot smarter in his suit than the opposing coach who wore a polo shirt. I mean, who does he think he is? 


*This actually didn't happen. Which is a shame because I think it's brilliant.
**Naturally with my last name starting with "F", I assume this was a tribute to me and I want one.
***I know it's a "Basket", I just want to see how many comments I get correcting me.I will use it for statistical analysis as to the number of (a) people reading and (b) people reading who are basketball fans.
****Sporting pun not intended. Except for a little bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment