Monday, July 28, 2014

When Monday Goes Horribly Terribly Wrong. Again.

It's taken me a week to get over the trauma of last Monday and write this. Even now, I'm feeling a little anxious and hoping I make it through today's Monday. They say things come in three's - I think that's just to lull you into a false sense of security once the third thing hits you. Then you relax and "bam", the fourth one hits you and no amounting of screaming at the sky "But I already had 3" will make any difference. In fact, you will look like a nut job.
  1. I woke up to discover that the power had gone out at about 11:30pm on Sunday night. No one told me because I was asleep and Albert didn't notice that there was no internet or cable TV. When I got ready for work, there was an estimated resolution time of 8am. Most of the fridge food* was already done for but I threw a few things into the slightly cooler freezer in the hopes of salvaging them once the power came back on. Which it did. At 4pm. The reason for a power outage affecting 2200 people for that long? Mylar Balloons. These are the foil balloons that have "Happy Birthday" or "Sorry Your Power Went Out" on them. According to LADWP, two of them hit the lines and knocked out a massive chunk of Los Angeles destroying my food and the neighbor's breast milk. But more importantly, what is going on when balloons can take out our power supply?What's next? A kite hitting the water supply? Who cares about the Zombie Apocalypse when we can be taken down by balloons and kites.
  2. Confident yet sadly mistaken that power would be restored imminently, I headed off to a doctor's appointment on my way to work. I was in and out pretty quickly only to find that my car was completely dead. The good news is that my stereo still worked so I was able to entertain myself. The bad news is that I was at the bottom level of the parking building and had no cellphone reception so I had to leave my dance party in a car and head up to call Triple A. Who were pretty awesome and got there, diagnosed a flat battery and replaced it with a new one, all in 30 minutes. Scott and I talked about our jobs and I offered to switch with him but only for 4 hours, a 12 hour shift is not really my cup of tea. Other than that, I think I would be pretty good at it. As long as I didn't have to fix anything.
  3. After a long day, I headed home all set to to go yoga the shit out of Monday, only to step in Albert's version of Monday in the hallway. I know, you're wondering if it can get any worse. Yes it can.
  4. No one brought me donuts even though I really wanted them
*No big deal, how were they to know that Sunday was my grocery shopping day and my fridge and freezer were full?

No comments:

Post a Comment