Tuesday, July 1, 2014

FIFA World Cup

Might as well get on the bandwagon and have my say about the World Cup.  Last Sunday, I got up early - yes, 8am is early on a Sunday - so I could go to a bar and watch the Netherlands v Mexico game.  It started at 9am and since my getting up early plans didn't quite pan out, I was there by 9:30am.  Which is actually pretty good.  Unfortunately, when I arrived, all of Mexico was already there.  They let me squeeze in since I was wearing very neutral colors and I ended up jammed in a corner standing next to an Israeli who is still very angry about the fact that Israel has not been in a World Cup since 1970.  I tried to commiserate by pointing out that New Zealand hadn't made it through either but might have ruined it by saying that we didn't care because we are number 1 in rugby.  I said they were number 1 in Kibbutzes.  That was the end of our conversation.

Going in, I wasn't really sure who to support - I have very close ties with both countries.  Once I worked for a company whose European HQ was in the Netherlands.  And I like Mexican food.  Being so connected made it very difficult to choose.  So I decided to go with the winner and had to change horses in mid-stream but I don't think anyone noticed.

Later I went to a different spot to watch Greece v Costa Rica.  Again, I was torn by who to support.  Both colors look good on me and I have been to Greece and I want to go to Costa Rica.  Very difficult to choose with such strong affiliations.   Ultimately, I went with Costa Rica as there was a very good looking Costa Rican* on the other side of the bar and I thought I might get points with him.  Sadly, he did not notice my mildly vocal support.  

I think it's very important to drink the drink of the teams that are playing as a sign of support.  At 9:30am I was really wishing England was playing as I fancied a nice cup of tea but settled for a Corona.  I was a bit afraid to ask for a Heineken, the Mexican fans were considerable in number  and due to the large number of tequila shots I saw consumed, did not seem in the mood to be reasoned with.

Imperial is the only Costa Rican beer I know and my second bar had a selection of Budweiser and Miller which was a bit limiting.  I'll be honest, I wasn't about to drink Retsina or Ouzo so settled for Cider.  If you're wondering about the connection to both countries?  Well, I like apples.

I can't wait to see who I'll be supporting next weekend and what I'll be drinking.  Oh, and who wins of course. 

*Probably. 

No comments:

Post a Comment