Monday, January 20, 2014

Public Holiday's Around the World...Today

Today is Martin Luther King Day here in the States. Which is important for many reasons as we all know. Also, since I want to treat all my readers equally, I am celebrating that it is Wellington Anniversary Day in New Zealand, for my 2 followers in Azerbaijan, happy "Martyr's Day" also known as "Day of National Mourning"*. For those readers in Idaho - enjoy "Idaho Human Right's Day".** And in Mali, let's raise a hand for Armed Forces Day and Baptism of the Prophet***. Finally, three cheers for Tuesday in Australia.

Since this is a public holiday today, technically I should have a day off from writing but I am pushing on through, even though it means I will have to walk 5 miles in the snow without shoes and a heavy pack of stones on my back.****

*Unsure if one should wish this to be "happy". Possibly one should wish for "sorry people sacrificed themselves and are now martyrs"?
**Let's hope they extend the same courtesy to the potato.
***It's a 2 for 1 day in Mali. They have a lot of public holidays so they're doubling up with the ones that just seem to go together...
****No martyrs here. No snow either but walking in sunshine makes it difficult to sound like a hardship. Also...Walking in Sunshine is a joyful song...

No comments:

Post a Comment