Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Blogging Workshop

So, last weekend I decided to take a blogging workshop (Writing Pad) in the hopes of finding out the mystery behind making money off a blog, how to expand my audience and how to get my movie/book deal.

Wasn't sure how these things were supposed to work but thought maybe similar to AA or one of those other organizations where you announce yourself by acknowledging your shortcomings? So, I boldly walked into the workshop and proclaimed "My name is Kirsten and I am a blogger." Not how it's done.  However, I made tons of friends and my blog went viral and now I have a 3 book deal and a movie trilogy underway*


*Not exactly true. Or at all true. Actually, a lie. Not even a dream sequence. I'm sorry. My name is Kirsten and I am a Liar.

It was pretty interesting to hear people talk about their blogs - they had subjects they were passionate about, specific issues they were going to address that related to their topic, an idea of their target audiences and what readers would get from their blog. I was also able to answer those questions:

  1. My Blog is about: nothing of any use to anyone 
  2. I am passionate about: it making money without me having to do anything
  3. My specific issues are: random, unrelated and just a place for me to stick things I am thinking about so I can sleep at night
  4. My target audience is: everyone - I can't afford to be fussy. Fine. My cat. Fine. My Mum
  5. Readers will get the following from my blog:
  • Handyman tips that will result in a trip to the ER
  • Beauty tips that will disfigure them
  • Travel tips that will land them in a foreign jail
  • Maybe a herpe
  • Business services performed by me with questionable standards and results
  • Dating and relationship advice that will not end well for anyone
  • General words of wisdom that are not
On a slightly related note, I've lost my 2 readers in South Korea but picked up 5 from Iceland so think the workshop has paid off.  I don't know who you are but thank you, Iceland. 

No comments:

Post a Comment