Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Flasks And Foraging - A Two Part Special

A while ago, I got the idea that I needed a flask – it was one of those things that you got back home when you turned 21. Something your friends banded together and bought and sometimes even engraved it for you. Not my friends but everyone else's friends - that's ok, friends, I’m sure you got me something else, even though the only thing I have ever needed/wanted in my life is a flask.

So, I found myself a really cute flask - one for me and one
for my friend because we have visions of us going to sporting events*, concerts and sneaking into LA hotel pools and avoiding expensive bar prices by bringing our flasks.  Which we will then drink out of. Surreptitiously.
In hindsight - I could have bought a cheap flask and stuck a picture on myself but I chose to pay $25 instead.

And then I had an even better idea for the flasks after trying to buy some very cool, second hand wrought iron garden furniture in a mint green color – color not so cool but I had a plan for that too. Called spray paint. The furniture's at this place called Rehab Consignment and I keep driving past so I can go and see how much they want for it and they’re never open. So one day last week when I was working from home**, they were finally open. I think they also keep the people in rehab there too but they’re not for sale. But back to the furniture - the point is that I was going to take it off their hands so that (a) they didn’t have a comfortable place to go sit and drink/smoke crack etc anymore, thus helping them with their addiction and (b) so that I could have a trendy retro outdoor set for me and all my friends*** to sit on. The bad news: apparently they want $900 for it (they must be on crack****). In cash. Which is never a good idea in a rehab place…that incidentally is next door to a bar, which also seems like a terrible idea for recovering addicts. Hyperion Public – not a bad place, a little dark inside in the bar part but I don’t think addicts mind that. And one time, they gave us burrata on a plate, just by itself, just cos we wanted burrata. I know, right?

So, the net result is that I still don’t have any outdoor furniture but I like the idea of getting some second hand stuff and doing it up. Right up until the point where I don't.  This might be one of those hobbies# where I get bored about twenty minutes in to it and stop and have half finished furniture.  Have you met my dining room table? Which I started refinishing about 6 years ago. It’s close. Better than the cot that Dad started building when he found out Mum was pregnant with me.  It’s not quite finished. 


Initially I thought I would make my own furniture and then I looked at a few patterns (recipes?) and the measuring part of it, which has never been my forte - owing to the large amount of mathematics that seems to be involved - got me a bit confused and I quit. Also the building part. 

This is taking a long time to get to the point which is not about furniture really but flasks and things I will do with flasks but furniture does come into it.   Tomorrow.  Or next week.  Or whenever I feel like finishing this...


*Not Really 
**I was working but I just happened to be taking a break in my car and not being at home. 
***Yes, by friend I mean my cat.  Let's all stop pretending.
****Not funny. But a little bit. 
#Not like cake decorating.  I am totally dedicated to that.  It's just that I am finished now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment