Thursday, October 17, 2013

Great California Shake-out

This morning we have earthquake training along with millions of other Californians. At 10:17am we're all going to Drop/Cover/Hold. I'm going to do it a little differently - I'm going to Stop/Put Cup of Tea Down/Carefully drop to the ground*/Get under my desk**/Phone a friend***/Get comfy.

I know this is a very serious matter and I want to take it seriously but I also have a meeting right after so will probably have to take that under the desk as it's going to take me a while to get back up. Also was a skirt and heels the appropriate outfit for an earthquake drill? Does the earthquake care how I look? One of my co-workers has just asked if they can come hang out under my desk but I think there's only room for me and even if someone was in my office visiting me at the time an earthquake struck, I'd have to say "Get Out". It's everyone for themselves in these kinds of situations. Unless he had cake in which case I would take his cake and then tell him "Get Out".

I know, I know - it's all fun and games until an earthquake hits and someone loses an eye.

I think we have to stay under the desk until the floor warden comes around and tells us it's safe - I would think in a real earthquake that once the shaking stops, that would be self-evident and if it's not, is she really going to know that? I'm pretty sure she's not a seismologist but I'll ask.

Do you think there will be prizes for the best "sitting under desk****"? I hope I win a prize, I'm going to be the best at it. In fact, I'm going to get under now because I'm an overachiever.

*I have a bad back and nothing happens fast. Hopefully the earthquake will understand and be patient with me. Maybe hold off until I'm securely under my desk?
**With handbag and phone - I know you're not supposed to grab things like that - or is that when the fire alarm goes off? I'd just like to have my phone so I can call for help or a small snack. Like pizza. In which case I'll need my credit card. From my handbag. Also my lip balm. Also I could play ScrambleWithFriends while I was waiting for rescue.
***Always good to have company, hopefully we can still talk over the bells and whistles going off
****Drop/Cover/Hold

1 comment: